baccarat the internet casino gameAmerica’s Lost Landscape: The Tallgrass Prairie
January 22, 2017 – 2 PM at the LaGrange Park Library, 555 N LaGrange Road
This beautiful and informative film was crafted by some of the same people that worked with Ken Burns on many of his historic films.
“This is the story of the rich and complex story of one of the most astonishing alterations of nature in human history.
“Prior to Euro-American settlement in the 1820’s, one of the major landscape features of North America was 240 million acres of tallgrass prairie. But between 1830 and 1900 – in the space of a single lifetime- the tallgrass prairie was steadily transformed to farmland.
“This drastic change in the landscape also brought about an enormous social change for Native Americans, in an equally short term their cultural imprint was reduced, in essence, to a handful of place-names appearing on maps.
“The extraordinary cinematography of prairie remnants, original score and archival images are all delicately interwoven to create a powerful and moving viewing experience about the natural and cultural history of America.”
It is that time of the year for the Prairie Fest at the Franzosenbusch Prairie House on Wolf Road Prairie (11225 Constitution Drive, Westchester, Illinois). The Fest will be on Saturday, September 3 from 11 AM to 4 PM.
- As many as 10 birds of prey from Northern Illinois Raptors will be shown from 11 am to 1 pm on the glove. Learn about their anatomy, physiology, and their individual stories. Visit northernillinoisraptor.org
- Dona Benkert’s dulcimer group will be playing on the house porch starting at 11:30 AM.
- Civil War reenactors with full regulation issued uniforms and equipment.
- Mickey Anderson will be demonstrating wool spinning.
- Rita Dowd will display her beautiful quilts.
- Basket Raffles
- Brats and Hot Dogs provided by Shell gas station at Ogden and York Road.
- Arts and Craft Vendors on the Prairie House parkway
- The History of Wolf Road Prairie presented by Dr. E.J. Neafsey
- Genealogy by Patricia Reaves
- Prairie Tours
- Doc Grayson will be on the porch to analyze your handwriting, starting at 1 pm – no charge.