September 24 – 1 pm : National Public Lands Day – A Celebration
Come out to Wolf Road Prairie where we will be learning about some of our
native plants, eliminating a few weeds, and collecting and spreading seeds.
Meet at the Prairie House, 11225 Constitution Dr., Westchester on the northern
edge of the Prairie at 1 pm. Long pants recommended.
Call 708-354-5512 for further information.
The will be Poetry on the Franzosenbusch Prairie House porch on Sunday, October 2 from 1-3 pm
Hosted by Drew Reaves
Create or read your favorite poem inspired by nature. Relax with friends and
new acquaintancesand be inspired by Wolf Road Prairie.
Enjoy refreshments. Beginners are welcome.
It is that time of the year for the Prairie Fest at the Franzosenbusch Prairie House on Wolf Road Prairie (11225 Constitution Drive, Westchester, Illinois). The Fest will be on Saturday, September 3 from 11 AM to 4 PM.
This year’s FEST will include past favorites as well as a new attraction.
- As many as 10 birds of prey from Northern Illinois Raptors will be shown from 11 am to 1 pm on the glove. Learn about their anatomy, physiology, and their individual stories. Visit northernillinoisraptor.org
- Dona Benkert’s dulcimer group will be playing on the house porch starting at 11:30 AM.
- Civil War reenactors with full regulation issued uniforms and equipment.
- Mickey Anderson will be demonstrating wool spinning.
- Rita Dowd will display her beautiful quilts.
- Brats and Hot Dogs provided by Shell gas station at Ogden and York Road.
- Arts and Craft Vendors on the Prairie House parkway
- The History of Wolf Road Prairie presented by Dr. E.J. Neafsey
- Genealogy by Patricia Reaves
- Doc Grayson will be on the porch to analyze your handwriting, starting at 1 pm – no charge.
Saturday, July 16 at 10 am to 12:30
Join us for our annual Insect Safari day. The noted insect expert, Mike Rush, will guide participants out onto the Prairie and along the Prairie House garden to collect insects for examination and study on the porch of the Prairie House. Later, all insects will be released.
Participants are urged to wear socks and long pants. Sandals are not advised.
There is a $5 fee for adult non-members; Children are free.
NATIVE PLANT SALE
STPS is hosting Linda Love’s Gardens on Sunday, June 26th – 1 pm at the Prairie House. Linda has been growing native Illinois plants for many years and has a reputation for raising healthy quality plants at reasonable prices. Linda will gladly help you with your selections if you need advice in regards to degree of difficulty or positioning for light. STPS members will be available to talk to you about Wolf Road Prairie. If you have any questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This is a wonderful way to help the environment. Studies have shown that butterflies and moths prefer to lay their eggs on native plants. In turn, the resulting caterpillars provide the protein that immature birds must have to develop bone and muscle. A decline in native insects is directly related to a growing decline in our bird populations.
Check out the latest eight photographs of the beautiful Wolf Road Prairie – April and May 2016. They are the last pictures in the gallery.
Naturalist Ron Skleney will discuss . . .
- What effect does climate change have on bird migration?
- What factors determine the timing of their migration?
- How is the food they depend upon impacted by temperature differences?
Ron will help us sort through the research and find emerging patterns
La Grange Park Library
555 N LaGrange Park Library
North of Ogden and South of 31st Street
May 17, Tuesday at 7 pm
Questions and discussion to follow.
For more information, call 708-354-5512.
Before the Europeans came to North America prairies burned regularly — sometimes many square miles at a time due to natural events such as lightning. Those natural burns usually occurred at least once very two or three years. Now prairies have to be burned to keep the woody plants from taking over.
Here’s a link to a YouTube video of a burn performed last November. Be sure to watch the end as new GREEN starts to appear.